This is Part 4 Of the Fascinate Series inspired by Sally Hogshead’s sensational book “Fascinate”
Do you know Hailey Theeuwen?
This may jog your memory.
Hailey was the name of the first Cabbage Patch doll. Yep, remember those ugly dolls, with the cloth bodies, that parents (maybe yours) fought for in the 80’s?
I remember my sister rocketed to celebrity status in her 3rd grade class when she got “The Doll”. For millions of girls, owning a Cabbage Patch Doll instantly made you popular. They were expensive, unusual, and scarce; a potent mix of ingredients that creates “Prestige.”
Sally Hogshead, the author of Fascinate, defines Prestige as the trigger that identifies the pecking order and rates people relative to one another. Most social media disciples hate the notion of “Prestige” but I challenge you to wait before you pass judgment.
Well, Prestige is the visible sign of influence.
If you have prestige then your message gets heard. People with prestige are immediately given the inside track to success. Loyal readers devour their blogs. Their twitter accounts collect tens of thousands of followers before their first tweet (remember LeBron?), and they don’t have any problem filling stadiums with Facebook friends.
So let’s go get you some.
How to Boost Your Prestige
1. Borrow It
In the beginning, you will need to borrow prestige until you have earned your own. That means you will need to spend time connecting with the A-Listers and “Connectors” in your niche. This process can take a while but its absolutely essential for getting your blog noticed.
Try this: The simplest way to do this is to go on a guest-post binge. Work your face off getting quality content on A-List blogs in your niche. You can also interview A-Listers and turn it into a post. Both ways a effective and classy ways to create a win/win deal and borrow a bit of prestige.
2. Emblems to Rally Around
People will empty their bank accounts for emblems of prestige. Just talk to Lamborghini owners. Better yet, ask any women if they want to shop at Tiffany’s or Jareds! When you create a visible badge or logo that ranks your readers and followers you begin to tickle the Prestige Trigger.
Try this: If you moderate a forum, make a big deal out of ranking members based on their number of posts. You can also give prominent blog sidebar placement for your top commenters.
3. Set New Standards
In Fascinate, Sally illustrates how Grey Goose Vodka created an ultra-premium vodka position in a crowded market for themselves. They defined prestige for Vodka and built a $2 Billion brand within 8 years.
This strategy works for blogs too. You can set a new standard for your niche by:
- Post Type: Boosting the quality and length of your posts. Everyone else will need to follow your lead or live in your shadow.
- Creative Topic Selection: Tackle the tough subjects or give a fresh new spin to existing topics.
- Guest Post Standards: Many blogs boost their prestige by only accepting posts from established thought leaders. Others use stringent standards to insure they get the very best posts available. The end result is a prestigious standing in the community and credibility for their guest bloggers.
4. Limit Access and Availability
Scarcity is a potent tool for boosting your prestige. Masters of the prestige game are fascinating because its very difficult to get their attention. People who do get on their radar jealously guard their access.
Although social media makes everyone more accessible than ever, you can still strategically limit your access.
- Restrict the number of people that are allowed to purchase your products/services. Lowering the number increases prestige.
- Limit the number of comments you allow for each of your posts. I suspect that your comment quality and quantity will go up.
- Follow selectively: Some A-listers restrict their number of people they follow to keep the tweet stream tidy – the unintended benefit is that they increase their prestige.
A Sure-Fire Way to Quickly Gain Prestige
Write and promote thoughtful and reader-focused posts. Building your foundation on quality information is the best way to grow your prestige. Without quality content , everything else in this post is just a gimmick.
Are we clear?
Good. Now, talk to me. How are you planning to increase your prestige? What will you work on first? Talk to me and I’ll talk right back 🙂