Quick “how to get more blog readers” tip for you.
Dedicate a good portion of your time spoon-feeding blog content to Google. Google will repay your diligence with higher search page listings that turn into targeted searchers into readers of your blog.
It’s relatively simple to seduce Google. Sure you can slide down the rabbit-hole of SEO and tie yourself into rhetorical knots over what’s legal, what’s essential, and what’s optional, but leave this to the specialists.
You just have to do the following:
- Get a Clue: How do people begin the process of researching your product, service, or subject? Use the free Google Keyword Tool to get actual search phrases used by potential readers.
- Do Your Homework: Someone is ranking extremely well for the keyphrases you want. Go to their blog and check out how they pulling it off. Are they tastefully putting keywords in their blog titles? Have they used keywords in their navigation? Do they have a bunch of high-authority (AKA respected, non-spam, real-live) sites linking to their blog posts?
- Do the Simple Stuff: Install either All-In-One SEO or WordPress For SEO to handle the simple chores that we all forget (or ignore). These WordPress plugins are both powerful and simple to use.
- Get Off Your Butt: Put your information into action. Take a few simple steps to start, like compiling a list of 4-5 keywords you want to get ranked for. Working those keywords into your posts. When appropriate use derivatives of your keywords in your post body and tags. Again, one step at a time.
About this point, somebody will drag this “straw man” out of the closet…
“You should write for people not robots. Stan you telling people to stuff their posts with keywords and turn their posts into auto-generated spam. Shame on you”
That is not what I’m suggesting, not even a little bit.
For the record, understand this:
- Don’t use keywords in your titles, blog posts, tags, categories, sidebars, etc unless they make sense in the context of your blog post.
- Don’t try to trick Google. Google’s mission is to find Search cheaters and erase them. Google likes relevant content that is updated frequently. Give them what they want and they will take care of you.
- Don’t be Naive. You can’t ignore Google or Bing. These people want to help you but they need you to signal which content is relevant to certain searchers. A little bit of SEO helps you and them. However, covering your ears, clicking your heels, and saying “just write, just write, just write” will not deliver your post’s to the top of the search listings.
How to Know if You Have A Google Problem
Search Google for the keyphrase that best describes your blog’s subject.
Who are in the top 10 spots? Visit each of them and evaluate the quality of their content. Is it pure drivel? Is somebody coasting along with “content light” attracting reader traffic that should be yours? Yes? Do something about it.
Google alone can drive enough readers to turn your blog into a business. You just have to acknowledge it’s power and take action.
Thou Shalt Love SEO
Oh…and head over to the PS Mastermind to get a free look at my SEO for Serious Bloggers video. I go into more depth about how to use SEO to get more blog readers.
What’s Your #1 SEO Questions?
Talk to me in the comments. I’m fired up and ready to go.