We’re going to get our hands dirty today and review one of my best performing ebook landing page templates. I’ll walk you through the page elements and provide you with the code to replicate this page for yourself.
The first step is to write a concise and helpful ebook that solves 2–3 aggravating problems for your reader. Now that it is written, create a landing page for it on your blog to gather reader email addresses, and delivering the eBook.
What is a Landing Page?
A landing page is the promotional platform for your ebook. It should be simple, attractive, and designed to focus 100% of your reader’s attention taking action and downloading your ebook.
Landing pages work because they have one purpose – get the signup. Your reader only has one or two options – download the ebook or share the page with their audience. This focused layout approach dramatically increases the effectiveness of the page.
My Favorite and Most Effective eBook Landing Page Template
Here’s that 22% conversion rate landing page that I recently created for my 50 Blog Design Tweaks eBook.
This page uses a tested template that is we configure for our eBook Launch clients.
- One Hero: The hero of this page is the eBook, the cover specifically. The page doesn’t promote anything but the eBook.
- Zero Sign-up Friction: The reader can get their eBook with just their email address. You can ask for a first name but expect a lower sign-up rate. I’m not opposed to asking for a first name if you plan to use it in your follow-up email campaign.
- No Hype Headline: The headline is specific and focused on a benefit that my readers care about.
- Free: Free is still the second most powerful word in marketing. (The most powerful word is your reader’s name). This template uses FREE in a simple ribbon running horizontally across the middle of the page.
- A Simple Explanation: Use two paragraphs to explain why your reader needs to download the ebook. The first paragraph should remind the reader of their problem. The second problem should tell the reader how your eBook helps them solve that problem. Simple.
- Be A Giver. Share: Everyone loves free stuff. Something for nothing is just too irresistible to pass up. But interestingly, most people feel uncomfortable accepting a valuable gift. That is why this page implies that the reader can pay for the ebook by sharing it with their audience.
- Give Them Their Stuff: After years of testing, I’ve discovered that quickly delivering the eBook is the best way to keep the reader happy and insure that they actually read it. I deliver the eBook using a lightboxed pop-up where the reader just needs to click to start downloading their eBook. The lightbox effect might be too advanced technically so a simple confirmation page like I have here does well too.
With Pop-Up Delivery
Simple confirmation page – notice that we are asking for the next action – Pay It Forward
3D eBook Cover and Page Design
There are a few important elements that work exceptionally well for this page:
3D eBook Cover
An ebook is a digital product and the customer won’t be getting a physical product. But, it helps to offer readers a graphic representation of the ebook.
My tests show a 30% increase in signups when a 3D eCover was added.
You can create the cover yourself, hire a professional designer, or use an online tool like boxshotking.com.
Design & Coding
This might be heresy but this page isn’t a blog tempate. This is a custom-designed good old-fashioned PHP page. This approach gave me the most freedom to test and change elements without tweaking WordPress code.
If you are comfortable with HTML, CSS and a little PHP coding then use the download link to customize the page graphics for your ebook. You will need to integrate the page with your email service provider (i.e. Aweber, Mailchimp, Constant Contact). I’ve also used the Twitter Bootstrap and FontAwesome CSS frameworks to create the layout, buttons, and modal popup.
Landing Page Alternatives
You can create a similar type of Landing Page using Copyblogger’s Premise. Premise offers the best customization options you can create almost any design layout if you are comfortable with CSS.
Test For Yourself
Go ahead and give this landing page template a try. I’m confident it will do well for you. Also, test different types of headlines and explanation text to boost your conversion rates.