What happens when your reader says “no” to your offer? Where do they go? How do you follow-up with them?
There’s a rule of thumb that says that any given time only 10-20% of your contacts are ready to buy something from you. That means that 90% of your audience is leaving your blog without taking an action.
Most people write off this people. They just focus on the people who buy. I think this is a huge mistake because that means that you are leaving money on the table.
You see, even though only 20% are ready to buy from you, a significant percentage of the remaining 80% will take action with a “nudge”
Selling Doesn’t Start Until the Prospect Says No
Successful online selling starts with the mindset that:
#1: You have a product or service that will absolutely help your customer and
#2: Understanding that the word “no” and objections essential to the selling process.
As such, you should plan for your customer starting with a skeptical viewpoint. From there, prepare a series of communications that gets your customer to the point where they say “Yes.”
I call this series of communications the Prospect Contingency Path. It works like this –
Start With No…
Let’s assume that you’ve asked a reader to sign-up for your email updates.
They say “No!”
Ask yourself, why did they say no? The reason’s might be:
1. I already get too many emails
2. I’m not sure you’ll send information worth reading
3. I don’t trust you
With this information you respond be creating an option form to handle this first “No” contingency:
1. I already get too many emails. Answer: I will only send you one email a week or when I have something valuable to share with you.
2. I’m not sure you’ll send information worth reading. Answer: I will show you how to do better, feel better, make money, save money, love more, etc.
3. I don’t trust you. Answer… I have a strict no-spam policy. You can unsubscribe with one click and no apologies.
Already your Prospect Contingency Plan is helping you break down your customers barriers.
Want to try one more?
How about – I don’t want to purchase a coaching session with you.
The customer has initiated the selling process because they’e given you the first no. Now our Prospect Contingency Plan kicks in:
What are the objections?
I’m not sure you can help me.
I’ve never heard of you before.
Your hourly rate is too expensive.
What are the contingency responses to each of these?
I’m not sure you can help me. Answer: Here are the types of issues I’ve helped people with in the last 30 days. Schedule a complimentary consultation to see if I understand your problem.
I’ve never heard of you before. Answer: I’ve been featured on Show A, Show B, Podcast C, and Popular Blog D. Here are list of articles that other “clients” found helpful when doing their due diligence.
Your hourly rate is too expensive. Answer: I deliver tremendous value. Think about what you would pay to solve your problem. I’m sure it’s worth 10x my fee. Let’s talk to see how we can bring your expectations into alignment with your investment.
Powerful stuff. This isn’t a sales pitch, these responses are based on your customer’s fears and misgivings. Answering your client’s objections is the first step to making an authentic and honest sale.
Make a list of the most important “call to actions” on your blog. Now brainstorm why a reader, prospect, or customer might say “No!”. Next create your contingency responses.
Finally include these responses back into your blog or website. Refine how you ask you ask for action by preemptively answering objections.
Do this and you’ll begin to see an immediate impact.